Lodge Information

  • All funds are in US currency. We accept cash, check, travelers check, Visa and Mastercard (5% convenience fee applies).
  • Check-in at 2 pm. If you arrive earlier than 2 pm, we cannot guarantee your cabin or boat will be ready. Please notify us if you plan to arrive prior to 2 pm.
  • Check-out is 10 am. If you fish or stay past 10 am you will be charged for an additional day.
  • Pets are welcome, but we ask that you do not leave pets alone in the cabins. We also ask that your pets remain on their leashes around camp because we also have pets of our own and wouldn’t want any problems.

Nearby Interests

  • Vermilion Bay has a grocery store, a few tourist shops, restaurants, gas stations and a doctor’s office.
  • Dryden is located approx 45 miles to the east of Vermilion Bay. Dryden is a larger town with all the same services and a golf course. Dryden has the nearest hospital.
  • Kenora is located approx 70 miles to the west. Kenora is somewhat larger that Dryden, but has all the same services.


The weather is Northwestern Ontario is unpredictable and can change quickly.  Check out the link below for the current and future weather predictions.

Border Crossing

When crossing the border into Canada have your IDs ready.  Passports are required for entry back into the United States.  It is also the best identification to present at the Canadian border.  The limits on food and soda are pretty lax, but the duty-free limits on alcohol are as follows:  two 24-packs of beer or bottles of wine per person or one medium sized bottle of liquor per person.

You are allowed to bring more alcohol into the country, but you have to claim it and pay a small amount of duty.  The same goes for tobacco products.  You are allowed one carton of cigarettes per person duty-free.  If you require further information check out the Canada Customs and Border Services website at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca.

Limits, Rules & Licenses

The limits vary with the type of license purchased. We make every attempt to keep you informed, so there are no mishaps.

Licenses: Fishing licenses need to be purchased prior to arriving.  Licenses can be picked up at various vendors in Ontario or online prior to arriving in Canada at https://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing-licence-non-residents-canada


Guse’s Lodges offers Walleye, Northern Pike, Smallmouth Bass, Lake Trout and Muskie.


 We fish walleye primarily with a jig and a minnow.  Some people like to put a twister tail on their rig to add some color and movement.  ¼ to 3/8 oz jigs work best depending on how windy it is.  Live bait rigs work well too.  If you like to cast, smaller shad raps and rattletraps work good.  You want the brightest colors available.

Northern Pike:

 You are likely to catch northern while walleye fishing. However, if you cast larger cranks into the weed beds or the shore you are more likely to catch only pike. Trolling larger cranks works well also.

Smallmouth Bass:

 Smallmouth are plentiful. Earlier in the season, they are shallow, so throwing smaller to medium shads and rattletraps toward shore is the best bet. Later in the season, they hang out on the sunken reefs. They put up a good fight, which makes them fun to catch.


 Muskie can be found in a few spots. They are hard to catch though. Throwing large bulldogs works well. Remember, Muskie season doesn’t open until the third Saturday in June.


 Trout is only available in Big Canon Lake.

Reach Out to Us for
Any Questions or Concerns

We hope we have provided you with useful information. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free contact us at anytime.